Robert A. Fahr Watervliet Public Library Internet Use Policy
Adopted March 2019
Robert A. Fahr Watervliet Public Library is dedicated to providing the community with the most current information available. Public access to the Internet is an extension of the library’s mission to provide access to resources in a wide range of formats. The library provides public Internet access through library desktop computers, laptops and Wi-Fi wireless internet.
Customers use the Internet at their own discretion. The library does not monitor nor can it control the content of the Internet; it does not have the resources to do so. Not all sites provide accurate, complete or current information.
As with any library resource, parents and guardians are responsible for supervising their children’s use of the Internet. Any restriction of a minor child’s access is the responsibility of the parent/guardian, not the library staff.
Library customers are expected to act in a responsible and ethical manner consistent with all policies of the library. In accordance with federal and state laws and regulations, patrons are not permitted to access the Internet in the library for any illegal or criminal purpose, including, but not limited to:
- Unauthorized or illegal copying of copyright-protected material
- Displaying explicit sexual material
- Hacking and similar activities
- Violating the computer or network security system
- Unauthorized use of computer accounts, access codes or network identification numbers
- Violating software license agreements
- Harassment or stalking
Because of the limited number of public access computers, the library reserves the right to enforce time limit rules to provide equitable Internet access and access to technology instruction for all patrons.
Customers who fail to adhere to the library internet use policy may be subject to any or all of the following, at the discretion of library staff:
- Verbal warning
- Written warning
- Suspension or revocation of public computer/ laptop/ internet use privileges for any time frame deemed appropriate
- Removal from the library/ suspension or revocation of library privileges for any time framed deemed appropriate
- Referral of the matter to law enforcement